North Carolina Disaster Response Network (NC DRN) Training
The primary goal of the NC DRN training program, developed by the North Carolina Psychological Foundation, is to educate mental health professionals who are interested in becoming involved in disaster mental health response. The unique aspects of disaster work and need for specialized training serves as the foundation for this course. The training is a general yet thorough orientation to the disaster mental health field, providing mental health professionals with the information they need to become volunteers. Greatly improved flexibility, accessibility to anyone with Internet access, and reduced time away from home are additional benefits of this NC DRN course.
The 8 modules in this training were developed and narrated by volunteer members of the NC DRN, all of whom are practicing mental health professionals with extensive disaster response experience. Technical support, production, and hosting of the modules has been provided by the UNC Center for Public Health Preparedness at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
For additional information:
NC Disaster Response Network (NC DRN)
North Carolina Psychological Association
1004 Dresser Court, Suite 106, Raleigh, NC 27609
- Register to access the training modules. You will receive a user name and password. There is no cost associated with registering or accessing the training. Go to:
- Verify that your computer has the technical requirements to access the training and view an optional sample presentation and tutorial. Go to:
- Click on "Access Trainings" above to access the NC DRN online training modules with a list of all 8 modules in the series and then click on the module you wish to take.
- Log-in using the user name and password you received when you registered.
- Complete the short pre-test by answering all the questions. Then click on "Continue to Tutorial" (button at the bottom of the page) and then "View Tutorial". (There are additional instructions on this module description page.) A new window will open with the online module you selected.
- Listen to the narration for the slide on your computer screen. The slides will advance automatically. Note that you can pause or stop the presentation at any time. You can view the audio transcript (in the Notes tab) and enlarge the slides to full screen (icon in the lower right side of slide.)
- When you have finished listening to and viewing all the slides in the module, click on the "Continue to Post-Test" button on the module description page. Complete each question in the post-test and evaluation in order to receive documentation of your completion of the module. Verify the certificate information presented and click on "Submit" at the bottom of the page.
- The system will generate a confirmation of your completion of the module. Click on "Printable Certificate" and save this as a file on your computer and/or print the certificate. You will see an option to obtain free CEUs from UNC. Do not select the option of UNC CEUs if you plan to attend the skill building workshop and want American Psychological Association (APA) credits.
- Repeat steps 3 through 8 above to complete all the modules in the training series. You can take all the modules at one sitting or at any time that is convenient.
- IMPORTANT: When you complete all the modules, send an email with your name, address, phone, email and NC mental health license number to the North Carolina Psychological Association (email@example.com) in order to sign up for Part 2, the skill-building workshop. You will need to provide the 8 certificates of completion BEFORE you can attend the workshop and receive the 6 APA approved CE's from awarded from the North Carolina Psychological Association. (See the FACT SHEET above for more info.)