Massachusetts Disaster Response Network Training
The goal of the Massachusetts Disaster Response Network (MA DRN) online training program is to increase the number of trained mental health professionals who volunteer to respond to disasters. The eight 30-minute web-based modules in this training program cover basic disaster mental health concepts including bio-psycho-social responses, mental health interventions, resiliency, ethics, self care, and activation for disasters.
This online training series was originally created by the North Carolina Disaster Response Network (NC DRN) and was produced and is hosted by the UNC Center for Public Health Preparedness at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The MA DRN modified modules 1 and 8 to address the specifics of disaster response in the state. Modules 2 through 7 are from the NC DRN training series and are also part of the MA DRN series.
For additional information:
MA Disaster Response Network (MA DRN)
Massachusetts Psychological Association
195 Worcester St., Suite 303, Wellesley, MA 02481
- Register to access the training modules. You will receive a user name and password. There is no cost associated with registering or accessing the training. Go to:
- Verify that your computer has the technical requirements to access the training and view an optional sample presentation and tutorial. Go to:
- Click on "Access Trainings" above to access the MA DRN online training modules with a list of all 8 modules in the series and then click on the module you wish to take.
- Log-in using the user name and password you received when you registered.
- Complete the short pre-test by answering all the questions. Then click on "Continue to Tutorial" (button at the bottom of the page) and then "View Tutorial". (There are additional instructions on this module description page.) A new window will open with the online module you selected.
- Listen to the narration for the slide on your computer screen. The slides will advance automatically. Note that you can pause or stop the presentation at any time. You can view the audio transcript (in the Notes tab) and enlarge the slides to full screen (icon in the lower right side of slide.)
- When you have finished listening to and viewing all the slides in the module, click on the "Continue to Post-Test" button on the module description page. Complete each question in the post-test and evaluation in order to receive documentation of your completion of the module. Verify the certificate information presented and click on "Submit" at the bottom of the page.
- The system will generate a confirmation of your completion of the module. Click on "Printable Certificate" and save this as a file on your computer and/or print the certificate. When you complete all the modules, you will need to call the Massachusetts Psychological Association (see contact info above) in order to register for Part 2, the Skill-Building Workshop. The eight certificates of completion will be collected at the workshop and 6 APA approved CE’s will be awarded from the Massachusetts Psychological Association.
- Repeat steps 3 through 7 above to complete all the modules in the training series. You can take all the modules at one sitting or at any time that is convenient.