Developing a Questionnaire (FOCUS, Volume 2.2)
Length: 40 minutes
This focus issue discusses the steps in creating a questionnaire, the categories of information typically collected, types of questions, and organization of the questionnaire.
These trainings are applicable to all public health, medical, veterinary, pharmacy, emergency management, hospital and other professionals interested in public health preparedness and field epidemiology. The periodicals and supplemental material are created by doctoral students and graduates of the UNC-CH Department of Epidemiology and reviewed by UNC-CH School of Public Health faculty and topic experts.
- Discuss how to ask the right questions in the right way as part of an epidemiologic study.
- Review the steps for creating a questionnaire and the categories of information typically collected.
- Review types of questions and how to properly organize them into a questionnaire.
Competencies and Capability Functions Addressed
This training addresses selected applied epidemiology, core public health, and public health preparedness and response competencies and public health preparedness capability functions as noted below. (Please note: The following training does not provide comprehensive or in-depth treatment of specified competencies or capability functions, it provides basic knowledge of the competencies or capability functions listed below.)
|Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals|
|4) Uses methods and instruments for collecting valid and reliable quantitative and qualitative data (1: Analytic/Assessment Skills)|
|Public Health Preparedness Capabilities|
|Capability 13, Function 2: Conduct public health and epidemiological investigations|
|Public Health Preparedness & Response Core Competencies|
|2.4. Collect data according to protocol.|
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Public Health, Department of Maternal and Child Health (2003). Data Skills Online: A Maternal and Child Health Toolbox. "Designing Questionnaires."
The author(s) and reviewer(s) of this training have no personal financial relationships with commercial interests relevant to this presentation to disclose.
Continuing Education Credit:
The UNC Center for Public Health Preparedness offers the following continuing education credit/s on this training. Eligibility for all continuing education credit is determined on an annual basis.
To complete this training:
- Read over all the training information on this page, including the Educational Objectives and References.
- Login to access the training. Please note that new users will first have to register to create a Training Web Site ID and Password. See To Access This Training instructions below.
- Complete the training pre-test.
- Complete the training activity as instructed.
- Complete the training post-test.
- Complete the training evaluation form.
- Save and/or print your certificate of completion for this training.
If you cannot complete the training in a single setting, you will be able to return to this training and resume where you left off. Please note that partially completed pre-tests, post-tests, and evaluations will need to be resumed from the beginning.
To Access This Training:
First-Time Training Web Site Users:
Already Registered Users: