Self-Care for Disaster Responders (NC DRN, Module 6)
Length: 35 minutes
This presentation by Sandra Wartski, Psy.D, is part of the North Carolina Disaster Response Network Training series and builds awareness of the importance of self-care and basic self-care principles for a disaster responder.
These learning modules are applicable to all public health, medical, veterinary, pharmacy, emergency management, hospital and other professionals interested in public health preparedness. These modules are created by faculty and guest lecturers at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
- Understand why mental health disaster responders need to be particularly attentive to self-care in disasters
- Recognize how caring for yourself is part of assisting others
- Be aware of compassion fatigue and related terms
- Describe four types of self-care practice
- Recognize when to apply self-care methods
Competencies and Capability Functions Addressed
This training addresses selected applied epidemiology, core public health, and public health preparedness and response competencies and public health preparedness capability functions as noted below. (Please note: The following training does not provide comprehensive or in-depth treatment of specified competencies or capability functions, it provides basic knowledge of the competencies or capability functions listed below.)
|Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals|
|4) Analyzes internal and external problems that may affect the delivery of Essential Public Health Services (8: Leadership & Systems Thinking Skills)|
|Public Health Preparedness Capabilities|
|Capability 14, Function 1: Identify responder safety and health risks|
|Public Health Preparedness & Response Core Competencies|
|1.2. Manage behaviors associated with emotional responses in self and others.|
See links on the North Carolina Psychological Association web site:
Author and Narrator:
Sally Cameron and Cathy Womack for the NC Disaster Response Network
The author(s) and reviewer(s) of this training have no personal financial relationships with commercial interests relevant to this presentation to disclose.
Continuing Education Credit:
The UNC Center for Public Health Preparedness offers the following continuing education credit/s on this training. Eligibility for all continuing education credit is determined on an annual basis.
To complete this training:
- Read over all the training information on this page, including the Educational Objectives and References.
- Login to access the training. Please note that new users will first have to register to create a Training Web Site ID and Password. See To Access This Training instructions below.
- Complete the training pre-test.
- Complete the training activity as instructed.
- Complete the training post-test.
- Complete the training evaluation form.
- Save and/or print your certificate of completion for this training.
If you cannot complete the training in a single setting, you will be able to return to this training and resume where you left off. Please note that partially completed pre-tests, post-tests, and evaluations will need to be resumed from the beginning.
To Access This Training:
First-Time Training Web Site Users:
Already Registered Users: